Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fashion Police

As I mentioned yesterday, the Oscars is one of my favorite events of the year! I am proud to announce that along with my friend Robyn I WON the Oscar pool this year! For the most part I was happy with the results and thought the right people/films won the right categoies, I could not be more happy for Sandra Bullock and her speech was amazing. But let's be honest, the fashion is what the majority of the excitment is about. I love the day after award shows because E! gets a panel together to praise and trash the night's fashion, I especially love it now that Joan Rivers and Khloe Kardashian are involved. I thought I would rank my Best and Worst dressed and see how my picks compare to the pros. I'll pick my Top 3 Best and Worst and count them down to add some suspense and excitment.

Let's start with the worst!

Zoe Saldana. I had a tough time with this one, not only do I love Zoe but I don't think this dress is all bad. First, I love, love, love the color! Purple is one of my faves and it looks amazing with her skin tone. I think the top is stunning, she has great skinny arms and nice shoulders and the beading really shows up well against her darker skin. The bottom is what I have a problem with. I have a huge issue with the poof on the side and the random poofs coming out of the bottom, it looks sloppy. I definitely don't like th rainbow effect, I think a solid color could have done wonders for this one.

 Mariah Carey. Not only do I despise Mariah as a person and a performer but I despise her fashion sense, just once can you cover up and show an ounce of class? This dress is actually pretty conservative for her, but what you can't tell from the picture is there is a slit that goes all the way up to that broach. Trashy. I think the neckline is ok on her, but I hate the color. I'm normally a huge fan of navy blue evening wear (a la Hilary Swank a few Oscars back), but this just looks like a frumpy house wife trying to dress up for an event she will most likely be uncomfortable at. Lastly, those shoes...what's wrong with a nice navy peek-a-boo toe stiletto heel? These platform stripper heels steel any class this outfit attempted to have.

Vera Farmiga. I get what she's going with here, it's very structurally interesting but it doesn't fit well, it makes her look bigger than she is. Plus, I have no idea what color it is...this picture makes it look pink but all last night I was under the impression that it was red. I think if the panels were smaller it would have worked much better. This is my winner for worst!












Now for the best:
Elizabeth Banks. I LOVE this dress! I love the color, I love the fit, I love the detailing on the bodice, love the slit in the front. It's great! I think her hair is a little old for her and the dress, but overall I think she hit this one on the head. The only thing I don't like is that I couldn't find a better picture to show off the front of this awesome dress.





Jennifer Lopez. This picture does not do this amazing dress justice! It is so gorgeous. It's this pale, translucent pink color and is made out of some kind of crazy fabric, it almost looks like chic bubble wrap. I love color against her olive skin and think the earrings are a perfect compliment. The hair was a little messy for me but let's be honest, J. Lo can do no wrong (fashion wise). My favorite part, though, is the shape. The base of the dress is as simple a silhouette as they come but the layers on the hip and the detail at the neckline make this so interesting and so beautiful. Now this is an Oscar dress!
Sarah Jessica Parker. Wow, what can I say? I am obsessed with this dress. Chanel, of course. It's different, so interesting, so classic, so beautiful. It's the perfect SJP dress. I thought her hair, make up and jewlery were flawless. The only thing I didn't like was the intense orange of her spray tan, other than that she was perfection. I can't say enough about this dress, I love the interesting neckline, love the pale yellow/cream color, love the beading and jewels, love the little scarf-like touch. It's so interesting and so different yet so classic and timeless. Love it! Love it! Love it! This is my favorite, hands down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive